Welcome to 2nd Grade!
Welcome to 2nd Grade!
Welcome to the 2nd grade website! Below you will find curriculum highlights for each of the subject areas in 2nd grade. This site will be updated at the beginning of each month, so please visit again. Thank you for visiting and I look forward to a wonderful, meaningful new year!
- Ms. Moore
In February, we will begin and assess on Unit 7. In this unit, students will explore addition and subtraction strategies and use them to add three or more numbers They use units of yards and meters to measure distances. They will collect data and display it in a frequency chart and line plot. Different games you can play with your child include Hit The Target, Basketball Addition, Addition Top It, Subtraction Top It. A tentative date for the next assessment is March 20th.
Our learning objectives for Unit 7 are the following:
Students should be able to
- Compare two 3-digit numbers based on meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits using >, <, =
- Add and subtract within 100, using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction
- Add three or more 2-digit numbers (up to 20) with the use of paper and pencil, number grid, or number lines
- Select appropriate measuring tools and measure the length of an object or distance to the nearest inch, foot, or centimeter
- Measure the length of an object in both inches and centimeters and describe how the two measurements relate to the size of the unit chosen
- Answer simple questions about the data on a picture or bar graph
- Sort shapes and identify common attributes
In March, students will continue to have 12 spelling words. Two ways we practice these words in the classroom are through the game Hangman and by using sign language. We will continue learning words with -ough, -al -ought and memory words with multiple syllables.
In March, students will be reading Issue 6 of Super Magazine. In this issue, students will peer into familiar and unfamiliar places like underground caves, King Tut’s tomb, and what dogs may be thinking. We will focus on comprehension by using key strategies and skills to help students focus. In book clubs, we will read Love and Roast Chicken by Barbara Knutson and Pink and Rex and the Bully by James Howe. In this unit, we will read emotional stories about challenges students may face in their real lives. These books provide a great starting point for authentic discussions about bullying, teasing, being yourself, and accepting differences.
In March, we will begin writing fiction writing. Fiction writing can be the most challenging type of writing. To prepare for this unit, we will read 2 imagined stories and discuss characteristics. Students will begin drafting stories based on the beginning-middle-end structure.
This month, we will learn about Wants and Needs in Unit 4. We will discuss what our wants and needs are, different types of work, goods and trade, and producers and consumers. By using graphic organizers and notecards, students will learn about economics and their part in it.
In March, our 2nd grade class will dive into Matter. Students will learn about the different states of matter and will begin to understand that one object can change from one state to another. Students will also recognize systems of matter and energy.
In religion this month, we will conclude our learning on the sacrament of Reconciliation. Students will begin to understand the structure, prayers, and purpose of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and Penance. I encourage you to practice saying the Act of Contrition, script of Confession, and other prayers with your students. We will celebrate the Sacrament on March 20th.
- Students need to be in dress code every day. For Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, this includes a tie and belt for boys.
- Students cannot use an out-of-uniform pass on a Friday, due to mass.
- Remember to sign the brown envelope every time it comes home. Check the papers that are sent home.
- March 1st - Special Lunch Order Forms Due
- March 6th - Ash Wednesday
- March 8th - Spring Picture Day
- March 10th - Second Grade Family Mass
- March 12th - Special Lunch and Boxtops/$1 out of uniform day
- March 15th - School is in session. Students must bring a hot lunch.
- March 17th - St. Patrick’s Day
- March 20th - First Reconciliation
- March 21st - Free Day
- March 22nd - 3rd Quarter ends
- March 28th - Spirit Day
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me. Have a great March!